Friday, June 13, 2014

Top 10 #nzpol Tweets of June so far

During the Fall and Spring semester of the US academic school year I did a project with a group of people from my program on the use of social media by congressional committees. Last weekend we presented our findings at the Library of Congress in Washington DC to Congressional Research Service, who commissioned the research. Perhaps that will be another post but that's the reason why I haven't blogged for a while. So as I was catching up on NZPOL, I noticed a lot of tweets on John Banks and some of them were pretty hilarious but I don't want all of the tweets to be taken over by Banks. So here are the top 10 #nzpol tweets in the month of June so far


One thing about the whole ACT Party/John Banks saga is the fact that there "zero tolerance" policy on crime does not seem to apply to them. I love this tweet because it sums up the hypocrisy beautifully. 


And, John Key has managed to once again come back unscathed from this debacle despite the fact that this is largely on him. That time when he refused to read the Police report can be best described as irresponsible. 


Ha! 


Another big story was the Civilian Party broadcasting funding. Perhaps I will do a whole blog on it because there is much to say on that... 


Colin Craig as part of the New Zealand political landscape actually makes zero sense to me. I'm not ruling out a National deal with him yet but why on earth they would do something like that is beyond me. 



Given what has happened in the last 10 or so days in NZPOL, one could be forgiven for not knowing what the actual issues really are. The above two tweets sums it up nicely. There are things in our lives that are impeding our ability to lead full lives and the Government does have the power and ability to address them. 


Some things to note about this tweet:
1. The Nats continue to do a good job on capitalizing on John Key's popularity with the public. 
2. However, most of us won't get to vote for John, unless we live in Helensville. Most of us will have to vote for the National Party or the candidate for the party in our electorate. 
3. The Nats are also making good use of that photographer they hired to take official John Key photos like the White House photographer does for Barack Obama. See the last tweet as a good example.



10 Rules of Top 10
1. Tweets must be funny or thoughtful or informative or display critical analysis 
2. What is funny or thoughtful or informative or display critical analysis is subjective and determined by me.
3. I may provide commentary on the tweet if it particularly strikes my fancy
4. They are not ranked from 1-10
5. Disclosure: I *am* particularly looking to highlight gender and racial minority voices
6. If you want to point me to the direction of a good tweet, please do it!
7. Using the #nzpol/#nzqt/#nzvotes is helpful but not required
8. I hope to get better about this as the weeks progress
9. I am a big fan of correct spelling and grammar (but I know mistakes happen too!)
10. Let's try to use social media for good and raise the level of debate!  

No comments:

Post a Comment